Sunday, September 04, 2011

It has been.... A Red Dawn


As I packed for my time out in Colorado for new staff training with Cru, I as any normal man gave no real thought to what shirts I would pack. I tossed in my Ravens Jersey, some dress shirts and even a dress jacket but there was one very important piece of clothing that was missing. That being my Red Dawn shirt. And why would I need such a shirt for a trip like this you may ask? Simple... sit back as I share the tale of Red Dawn.

It all started in 1984 when the Soviet Union decided it would be a fantastic idea to invade the U.S. The Soviets had plenty of options as to where to invade first and for whatever reason choose Colorado. Sometime during a quiet September morning students at a local Colorado High School witness paratroopers falling into the field behind them and open fire on everything that moved. As students (notably Charlie Sheen among them,) rush out of their hometown Calumet, the situation worsens. Soviet troops along with Cuban and Nicaraguans are up in everyone's grills and rounding up citizens. ( To this day I can never fully explain why or how the Cubas and Nicaraguans were caught up in this. I think in the communist draft for assembling a team to invade America, all the good picks were gone when it was the USSR's turn.) Naturally things look bleak for the home team.

For about a month, the kids who did escape are living in the woods and are led by none other than Patrick Swayze and hope that everything will blow over. Sadly the occupation takes a turn for the worse yet again. After seeing the atrocities of the Soviets, the kids form their own rebel group named after their high school mascot, the wolverine. For about 3 months or more the group fights the occupation in Colorado. As you can imagine much shenanigans ensued and eventually the Soviets are defeated.

For me I loved the other the top idea of a country like the USSR invading and how a bunch of high school kids resisted them so fiercely. It makes a me a firm lover of 80s films. It seems that is all the 80s was... and I wouldn't have it any other way.



No comments: