Wednesday, August 17, 2011

An Ever growing Family


Ever since I became a Christian in the fall of 2005, I traveled around the country every year. My very first trip out of state was to Panama City Beach, Fl to share the gospel with Spring Breakers when I was a freshman. How amazing it is to see God at work since then. I have been to 33 states and once out of country. With every year, God shows me more about himself and many about what I have through Christ. I am so glad that God has shown me over the years, a sense of family. If you were to tell me six years ago I would become a Christian and experience so much, I would never believe you. 2011 was no exception. What an amazing opportunity to join staff this summer with Cru in Ft. Collins, CO. After waiting two years I finally got to embrace the dream God had given me.

The Journey out to Colorado was meant to originally to take 3 days across the country and my trip was meant to be 1750 miles long. Going into my third day of traveling in Iowa on my way to Lincoln, NE, I was so excited to be in Colorado the following day. Sadly my plan would be interrupted with the loss of my second car transmission. The first transmission I loss was while I drove on I-70 in Maryland so I had little to worry about in the way of resources and friends to help. In Brooklyn, IA, the place where it broke down this year, I would not have the same situation. It was slightly stressful situation as anyone would imagine but in the midst of it I knew I could trust God. I really couldn't believe how things would play out in the next two days. By God's grace he provided a staff couple in Des Moines that I was able to stay with. In addition, the money I needed for gas and labor expenses to repair my car were provided for! After two days of waiting I could drive the 10 remaining hours to Colorado. You can imagine how thankful I was to after such a long time getting to see the Rockies.

As I first arrived to new staff training on June 15th, I rushed into the school we were meeting in for a night session. It was so encouraging to see so many people who were joining staff. On that note it was great to be around so many brothers and sisters, many of which I had never met up to that point. After 5 days of traveling I finally made it, I could not stop thanking God for getting me there. The next six weeks would further assume me what I have in Christ.

I’ve never been to Colorado and I never really thought I would even make it this far in life, graduating from a college and working for Cru. I loved my time staying on Colorado State University’s campus and having the Rockies only 1 hour away. I couldn’t have picked a better place and time to join staff! It was a privilege to go through some amazing times and some very difficult times with my brothers and sisters. Whither it was going through our classes or watching a Rockies game, it was good to know I had people, to have family with me every step of the way. There were times during the week where our huge group would break up into smaller ones and meet every Wednesday. It was helpful to me to get to know some of my brothers on a more personal level and share our struggles and victories in life. I value that so much to have opportunities like that. That was something I really missed out on growing up and not being able to be vulnerable or open with my parents. I love knowing that my family does not stay within the boundaries of man’s blood and legality but through the cross. I am reminded of John 1:12-13 which says “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.” I am grateful to know that I am not at all alone in this world; I am a child of God. To know my family is in Texas, California, Virginia, and Indiana and beyond the U.S. gives me comfort.

As a child I could never really count on my parents to be there when I needed them. As I was taken out of the family by Social Services in 2003, I had little to ready me for the world which I was forcibly made to grow up at times on my own. As I saw where my parents fell short I have seen my family in Christ make up for it in big ways, especially with getting to Colorado. So many people were gracious enough to sacrifice time, prayers, and money to help. When I first came to Christ a leader from Cru shared the gospel through a booklet called “Would You like God Personally?” At first I never gave much thought to the title but was very eager to trust in Christ to forgive me of my sins and have a personal relationship with God. Over the years I have since just how good God is and how he has really met me where I am at. I had many hurts from unmet needs in my real family and other families I was a part of. But to see God providing me with my true family through the body of Christ has helped me to continually trust in him. As my true father I believe God will provide what I need, even when I don’t know. I am confident that wherever any of us are Christ will provide for us and deeply satisfy us more than anything in this world.



I am excited to see most of my new staff brothers and sisters in Georgia at the end of October!

No comments: